OpenCL and Ubuntu
OpenCL is a powerful framework for GPU programming. Using your graphics card for scientific computations can save you time by orders of magnitude!
After working on OpenCL successfully with Ubuntu 9.10 I experienced some problems with Ubuntu 10.04 also leading to some test with the older version 9.04. I tested
- the CUDA releases 2.3, 3.0 and even 3.1 beta from their website,
- Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04 and
- multiple versions of the NVIDIA driver.
I came to this conclusion:
- The CUDA examples compile and work with Ubuntu 9.04, when
- With all other driver versions my OpenCL program can not find any OpenCL devices at runtime.
- But with exactly this driver Ubuntu 10.04 can not start
- Even the great manual from Nico did not help.
For now I am developing on Ubuntu 9.04, but hopefully NVIDIA will catch up a little with their support for current Linux distributions.