OpenCL is a powerful framework for GPU programming. Using your graphics card for scientific computations can save you time by orders of magnitude!
GIMP is one of the most common open source and platform independent image editing softwares. For scientific purposes you might want to apply your freshly developed image processing algorithm to an image loaded with GIMP.
The GIMP Octave Plugin is a quick and easy way to run Octave or Matlab right out of the GIMP environment.
Dropbox is a well-known platform independent file synchronization service that allows you to sync one Dropbox-folder on your filesystem with their webserver. Installing the Dropbox service on multiple computers you can
- almost instantly synchronize between Dropbox-folder on all computers,
- browser-based access to your files from any computer,
- share subfolders with friends,
- access via iPhone or Google Apps and
- go back to previous versions of your files.
Synergy is a great tool if you are working on two computers simultaneously and you would like to share one mouse and one keyboard. It comes with a light-weight GUI and is plattform independent.